Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Book Review: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce



Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce
Genre:
Young-Adult Paranormal, Fairy Tale Retelling
My Rating:
☆☆☆
SYNOPSIS:
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?


MY THOUGHTS:
This is the story of two sisters whom are thrust into the harsh Fenris infested world. Their grandmother is eaten and the older sister, Scarlett, loses an eye fighting for her life and that of her sisters at the very young age of 11 or 12. Left to their own devices, they spend their teen years 'hunting' wolves.
I did enjoy the first half of this book. I liked that the female characters were so 'bad ass'. Scarlett just screams 'bad ass' with all her scars, weapons, and hunter demeanor. But it soon became very redundant and it seemed like every chapter was a hunting scene. I think that was my biggest problem with this book - the repetitive scenes. The romance was sweet but also seemed very rushed.
Another thing that makes it a little difficult for me to enjoy about this book is that it is considered a 'Fairy Tale Retelling'. It's kind of obvious which fairy tale this is supposed to shadow - 'Little Red Riding Hood' - but besides that it has wolves (werewolves instead of just real wolves), a grandmother that is killed by a wolf, and a male character that has family that are 'woodsmen', it doesn't seem like much of a retelling at all. I haven't read many retellings (besides 'Beastly' by Alex Flinn) but I just don't this one did a good job. I can see how it is considered a retelling but I just don't get the 'Little Red Riding Hood' vibe from this novel.
I wanted to continue on with 'Sweetly' but I just can't seem to find it anywhere. It's the companion novel to 'Sisters Red' but is a retelling of Hansel and Gretal. The synopsis sounds pretty interesting as well but I don't think I will go out of my way to read it. I was really hoping to like Jackson Pearce's novel because I love watching her youtube videos but I guess it just isn't for me. I won't give up on her but for now I think I will move on to other things.
Fairytale Retellings
#1 Sisters Red
(Little Red Riding Hood)
#2 Sweetly
(Hansel and Gretal)
#3 Fathomless
(The Little Mermaid)
#4 Cold Spell
(The Snow Queen)
[I'm actually hoping to find 'Cold Spell' someday because I'm a big fan of The Snow Queen.]


[Read from April 20th to April 24th]




No comments:

Post a Comment