Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #1


 
Every Tuesday, The Broke and the Bookish hosts a meme called 'Top Ten Tuesday'
 
This weeks 'Top Ten' is
 
BOOKS TO READ WHEN YOU NEED SOMETHING LIGHT & FUN

(UPDATE: I've realized after seeing others 'Top Ten Tuesdays' that I accidentally did next weeks 'Top Ten' this week. It's a little late to go back and re-do it and schedule this for next week so I will stick with my mistake and maybe go back and do this weeks next week if I have no reviews to post instead. I apologize!)
 
 
This will be my first time participating on this blog.
 
Right now when I think of 'light & fun', I think of children's books, so please don't hate me if the majority of these are books you may have read in grade school. I'm not quite sure if I'm interpretting 'light' the right way, either. I see it two ways: light as in a short quick read OR light as in bright and positive. I'll try to fit a little bit of both into this list.
 
Stuart Little by E.B. White
I remember this book being extremely fun and full of adventure.
 
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Perhaps this isn't the 'lightest' sort of read, but it is tons of fun. Whether you are re-reading it or reading it for the first time, exploring Harry's wizarding world is sure to be entertaining.
 
Big Fish by Daniel Wallace
This was adapted into a pretty awesome movie, by the way.
I thought this book was very fun. Though it has some not so light undertones, it was full of fun tales.

Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
This is one of my favorite love stories. It's not the erotic or explicit type of romance that plagues the shelves these days. Instead it is the story of two young people and how they build up to loving each other.

Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
Another one of my favorites, this is a quick entertaining read about a girl who is 'kidnapped' by the Tucks who just happen to be 'immortal' (all without the supernatural elements that also plague the shelves these days.)

Aquamarine by Alice Hoffman
This one is a fun middle grade story about a mermaid that gets trapped in a pool after a big storm and the two girls who rescue her and become her best friends.

Stardust by Neil Gaiman
This one isn't necessary a light or quick read but it is full of adventure and is one of my favorites by Neil Gaiman.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
I really love both the book and the movie adaptation for this book. Who wouldn't want a secret garden?

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
This book is always just so fun to read. James' adventures with the 'bugs' and his travels in the peach are definitely a light and fun read.

School Is Hell by Matt Groening
I read this when I was probably too young to be reading about highschool, but the illustrations are really fun.


I probably should have thought about these longer but I browsed my shelves and this is what I came up with. I'll try to be more prepared for next weeks 'Top Ten Tuesday'. :)
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment