Saturday, September 13, 2014

Happy Roald Dahl Day!



The Official Roald Dahl Day is centered around his birthday on September 13th every year! And why shouldn't we celebrate the birthday of this imaginative author every year? I certainly can't think of a reason not to! I kind of wish we had Roald Dahl Day more often. Life would be a lot more fun! 




It is also the 50th Anniversary of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and since this is one (of many) Roald Dahl books that I haven't read yet, I've saved it just for today! 

I've also checked out 'Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator' from the library to read as part of the 'September is for Sequels' Challenge! Today is going to be a fun day! 

A frightening fact about me is that I never once read a Roald Dahl book as a kid. Not ever. Can you believe it? Me. The reader! I soaked up books like other kids soaked up soda and television! I watched the movies and LOVED them to death but for some reason, I never once came across a Roald Dahl book, even at the library! I loved 'The Witches', 'Matilda', and 'Willy Wonka' as a young kid and I absolutely adored the stop-motion film, 'James and the Giant Peach', but I had never read them! 
I came across an old copy of 'The Witches' when I was about 20 years old and grabbed it off the shelf and fawned over it because I had loved the movie so much. I read it and loved it and then I read 'The Fantastic Mr. Fox' before it's movie adaptation came out and loved them both, too.
  Since then I have read 'James and the Giant Peach', 'Matilda', and 'The BFG' and have loved them all. It's so disappointing to know that I missed out on these amazing works of literature as a child but since the movies are all just as entirely amazing as the books, I don't feel entirely cheated. I will be making sure my own daughter is brought up enjoying these books as much as I do now. I can already see many future 'story times' where we curl up and read our old weathered copies together. 

 Other than the ones mentioned above, I've found a copy of 'The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar' but there are many more that I'd love to get my hands on and add to the collection of children's books that I've been building in case I have children one day. Now that I'm expecting, it makes it that much more of a priority because I know I am growing raising a future little reader who will hopefully love these stories as much as I do! 


Here's a picture of my little Dahl collection (minus 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' which I forgot to add because it's buried in my TBR pile)! 

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it." 
------

Coming Soon

Steven Spielberg is reportedly adapting 'The BFG' into a film that will be released sometime in 2016!!! 


------

Are you celebrating Roald Dahl Day?
What is your favorite Roald Dahl children's book?

No comments:

Post a Comment