Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Book Review: Skeleton Island by Angie Sage

Title: Skeleton Island
Author: Angie Sage
Series: Araminta Spookie #7
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's
Publication Date: July 26, 2016
Pages: 176
Source: Netgalley


Synopsis:
Araminta and her best friend Wanda are going on a school trip to Skeleton Island, a place rumored to be the site of a scary ghost shipwreck. And when the pair is stranded overnight, they discover that there might be more truth to the island's name than they would have preferred. 

Now some terrifying pirate skeletons are on the loose, and they want to take the girls down to Davy Jones's locker with them! Will Araminta, Wanda, and an unexpected friend be able to thwart the ghostly crew, avoid a watery fate, and maybe find some lost treasure to boot? 

Told with her trademark wit and a dash of scary fun, along with the black and white illustrations throughout, Angie Sage's latest tale is perfect for fans of Pseudonymous Bosch and Jacqueline West. 

My Thoughts:
Araminta knows that pirates are bad business so she's reluctant to go on the fieldtrip to Skeleton Island but her best friend Wanda thinks it will be great fun. Araminta has been there once before with her Uncle Drac, who told her the story of skeleton pirates. When she and Wanda are left alone on the island overnight, they find that the story is true! 

This was a fun little 'spooky' read. 
I hadn't realized that this is the 7th book in the series until after I started it but it really didn't matter as it reads perfectly fine without having read the other books. I do own the first book and will read it soon. Hopefully I can get my hands on the rest of the series as well. I think this series would be a nice addition to my daughter's shelves for when she is a little older. 

I have not read either of the two authors mentioned in the synopsis above so I cannot make that comparison but I do think this series would be enjoyed by fans of the television shows, Ruby Gloom and Monster High.


No comments:

Post a Comment